Internship Description and Application Instructions
The EverThrive Illinois approach weaves together advocacy, community engagement, and strategic partnerships to collectively fight for necessary, high-quality health care on behalf of all women, children, and families. We confront racial and economic inequality in our health systems, and we mobilize champions of health across Illinois. We use this approach to concentrate our efforts on our focus areas:
- Child & Adolescent Health
- Health Reform
- Maternal & Infant Mortality
- Reproductive & Contraceptive Justice
Together, these activities help EverThrive IL bridge the gap between policymakers and those affected by their decisions, and we empower individuals and providers to create healthier communities where families can thrive. EverThrive IL seeks programmatic, policy and advocacy, and community engagement interns to assist in achieving these goals.
Additionally, interns may have the opportunity to learn about nonprofit management, operations, and administration. This includes human resources, marketing and communications, Board development and management, impact evaluation, and organizational development and financing.
General Learning Objectives:
- Gain or increase knowledge in the maternal and child health field including learning about resources, health-related policies effecting families, current health related statistics, and understanding the value of local and statewide coalitions and partnerships
- Strengthen written communication and research skills
- Enhance problem solving skills
- Understand the state and federal policy making processes, and identify key strategies to impact that process
- Experience working in a team-focused and advocacy-oriented non-profit professional environment
- Better understand the relationship between programs and health policy, and the role local communities’ play in identifying priorities and implementation strategies
- Understand strategies to increase access to quality health care for Medicaid recipients; especially women and children
- Appreciate the power of consumer engagement in effective policy and advocacy
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Interest in public health or community health
- Well-developed writing and analytical skills
- Strong reading comprehension skills
- Proficiency in computers and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Creativity and tenacity in achieving objectives
- Detail oriented
Start and end dates are flexible.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, Subject Line: Application for Internship. No phone calls please. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis as opportunities allow.